The Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania (hereinafter referred to as the Ministry) is the executive authority.
The principal operational goals of the Ministry are to shape public policy, as well as organise, coordinate and oversee its implementation in the following areas:
1. the functioning of the transportation system and the development of all-mode transport infrastructure;
2. carrying passengers and freight by rail, road, sea, inland waterways and air;
3. road safety for all types of vehicles;
4. combined transportation, transit and logistics;
5. electronic communications and post;
6. the transportation of dangerous goods by road, rail and inland waterways as well as related areas.
The Ministry is headed by the Minister of Transport and Communications.
The Ministry is composed of 2 departments, 5 groups and 4 independent divisions. In QIV 2022, the Ministry employed 132 civil servants and 46 employees working under employment contracts.
Three special attachés delegated by the Ministry of Transport and Communications – two transport attachés and one telecommunications and postal services attaché – are working at the Permanent Representation of Lithuania to the European Union (in Brussels). One transport attaché is working at the Diplomatic Mission of the Republic of Lithuania to the Republic of Kazakhstan and one attaché – at the Diplomatic Mission of the Republic of Lithuania to the Republic of Poland.
17 enterprises, institutions and companies are under the regulation of the Ministry.